Thursday, February 9, 2017

February 9th, 2017

February 9th, 2017


Affirmation: I begin taking better care of myself than I ever have before.


Word of the Dayqui vive (n):
1. alert, lookout — used in the phrase on the qui vive


The One Thing You Must Do

There is one thing in this world which you must never forget to do. If you forget everything else and not this, there is nothing to worry about, but if you remember everything else and forget this, then you will have done nothing in your life.

It is as if a king has sent you to some country to do a task, and you perform a hundred other services, but not the one he sent you to do. So human beings come to this world to do particular work. That work is the purpose, and each is specific to the person. If you don't do it, it's as though a knife of the finest tempering were nailed into a wall to hang things on. For a penny an iron nail could be bought to serve for that.


Remember the deep root of your being, the presence of your lord. Give your life to the one who already owns your breath and your moments. If you don't, you will be like the one who takes a precious dagger and hammers it into his kitchen wall for a peg to hold his dipper gourd. You will be wasting valuable keenness and foolishly ignoring your dignity and your purpose.

___


The Student-Teacher

"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it." - Margaret Fuller

I am sad to admit that I often used to withhold and keep knowledge or learning to myself. I thought that I was protecting it, believing that knowledge shared was knowledge halved, convinced that its dissemination would somehow compromise or taint its quality or integrity - cheapen and dilute it in some way.

In many ways, this belief fuels rumors and gossip and secrets - the idea that exclusive information is somehow superior.

Looking back, I now realize that this pattern of behavior stemmed from a scarcity mentality - which is something that I struggle with in many areas of my life, and something which I will likely return to discuss in upcoming blog posts.

In this context, however, the sense of scarcity stemmed from the belief that knowledge was somehow limited and something whose power derived solely from its rarity and short supply. More than that, was an underlying fear of being perceived as pedantic.

You see, it feels far more comfortable and safe for me to feign ignorance than to risk being thought of as a know-it-all. Bossy. Controlling. Holier-than-thou. Arrogant. Too much.

It felt easier playing the role of the student - not simply because I love learning, but because it is a role I know so well. It scares me to think that what I might have to share with the world could be spurned, scoffed at, dismissed, or ridiculed. Thinking of myself as a teacher makes me feel illegitimate - like a fake and a fraud and a lie.

In many ways, then, this blog has allowed me to share a part of myself - what I have learned as well as my experience - with the world. It has been a step into the unknown waters of being seen and witnessed. It has been an undertaking of vulnerability and messiness and insecurity and doubt.

But through it all, I have realized that in this bearing witness, I have both shared knowledge and experience and gained it. What I have reaped I have sowed. What I have disseminated I have cultivated. Like a fishing rod cast into an ocean of learning, what I have cast has been met with an abundance I never could have imagined.

Like most people, the gap between my actions and intentions is vast, but this blog was one small step in narrowing that chasm - a step whose rewards have been unexpected and meaningful in a way I never could have imagined.

When you think about the lessons you've learned and the experience you've cultivated in your life, what comes to mind? Is there a meaningful outlet for what you have gleaned? What within you are can you risk sharing with the world? In what ways do you wish to be seen?

I invite you to take one small step towards whatever that might look like for you today. Even if that is a brief talk with a trusted loved one or five minutes of journaling.

I would love to hear how the experience was for you.



2 comments:

  1. I love the first piece - The One Thing you must do. In not rising to the heights planned by 'the one who owns your breath and moments', the precious years are wasted in being a 'jackass whisperer' and to paraphrase Shakespeare, the voyage of our life is bound in shallows and miseries. This I know to be true - people who truly love us will love us despite our flaws, warts and all. It is only those who feel envious or inferior in our presence who use terms like bossy and arrogant to dim our light and to drag us down to their level and into their darkness and ignorance. The world is in dire need of light and knowledge/wisdom and needs more people like you to tip the balance in favor of greater illumination. Don't let it down. xoxo. m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you surround yourself with people who elevate you and help you evolve as a human being. And when you can't, know that you can be that person for yourself and access your Higher Self at any time <3

      Delete