February 11th, 2017
Affirmation: Anger hurts me more than the person I feel rage towards. I will let go and move on. Life is too valuable to get stuck.
Word of the Day: asomatous (adj):
Someone may be clairvoyant, able to see
the future, and yet have very little wisdom.
Like the man who saw water in his dream,
and began leading everyone toward the mirage,
I am the one with heart-vision.
I have torn open the veil.
So they set out with him inside the dream,
while he is actually sleeping
beside a river of pure water.
Any search moves away from the spot
where the object of the quest is.
Sleep deeply wherever you are on the way.
Maybe some traveler will wake you.
Give up subtle thinking, the twofold, threefold
multiplication of mistakes.
Listen to the sound of waves within you.
You are dreaming of your thirst,
when the water you want
is inside the big vein on your neck.
____
Co-Existing Feelings
I was going to title this post "co-occurring emotions," but I decided that I don't want to further pathologize something that I feel is already unduly and needlessly pathologized.
The idea of co-existing feelings is something we've likely all experienced. It is rare for someone to experience one unique and unadulterated emotion. For example, upon achieving something, people often feel both pride and happiness. Similarly, if someone catches their significant other cheating on them, they could feel a combination of betrayal, anger, and hurt. These co-existing feelings are expected, understood, and cause no sort of cognitive dissonance within us.
But what about situations in which feelings seem to contradict one another? When "positive" and "negative" emotions bubble up within us in concert? After the death of a loved one, for example, we might feel grief, but maybe we feel a sense of relief - perhaps from no longer needing to play a caregiver role? In transitions of all kinds, a sense of "bittersweetness" tends to arise. One can be both happy and excited about graduating from college while also feeling sadness about leaving friends and a sense of fear about the future.
Personally, I am currently experiencing two emotions simultaneously that I never thought could co-exist: hopefulness and hopelessness. On the one hand, I am hopeful about how things are changing for the better in my life and the steps that I am taking in personal transformation and healing. On the other hand, I do feel a sense of hopelessness about the life I want to lead and the person I want to be given both my history and the gap between that life and person and where I am now. It feel like resolution and determination towards my goals coupled with dread and fear that I am just kidding myself and setting myself up for disappointment.
I have noticed that it is these states of apparent contradiction that we never seem to discuss openly. These states - take the first example of feeling relief at the death of a loved one - can often cause more emotions to layer: for example, one might feel shame for feeling relief at someone's death. I certainly feel a lot of guilt for harboring the least bit of hopelessness given how rich and fortunate I am, how grateful I feel, and how much support I have in my life. These layers of guilt, shame, and other emotions then tend to give way to our telling ourselves that we "should" or "should not" feel a certain way and that we "ought to" feel otherwise. We might also label ourselves as "bad" mothers/ daughters/ fathers/ sons/ friends/ lovers/ etc.
But why the shame? Why secrecy in discussing these topics? Who (and when and on what basis?) decided that certain feeling states in response to certain contexts were OK while others were not?
I am sure that the idea of what is socially acceptable to discuss as far as this is involved has evolved over time, so today, I invite you to be a part of today's evolution. Take the risk and tell a trusted one when you are experiencing emotions in response to something that don't feel "acceptable" or "appropriate." Let us each do our part on destigmatizing something that truly is neutral - our experiences.
In fact, you can start now.
Comment below and let me know: what is one (or more!) situation in which you've felt something that didn't seem to be the "right" emotional response? How did you handle your emotions? Did "layering" emotions and/or "should's" and "ought to's" show up? Did something else show up?
Affirmation: Anger hurts me more than the person I feel rage towards. I will let go and move on. Life is too valuable to get stuck.
Word of the Day: asomatous (adj):
1. having no material body;
incorporeal.
The Water You Want
Someone may be clairvoyant, able to see
the future, and yet have very little wisdom.
Like the man who saw water in his dream,
and began leading everyone toward the mirage,
I am the one with heart-vision.
I have torn open the veil.
So they set out with him inside the dream,
while he is actually sleeping
beside a river of pure water.
Any search moves away from the spot
where the object of the quest is.
Sleep deeply wherever you are on the way.
Maybe some traveler will wake you.
Give up subtle thinking, the twofold, threefold
multiplication of mistakes.
Listen to the sound of waves within you.
You are dreaming of your thirst,
when the water you want
is inside the big vein on your neck.
____
Co-Existing Feelings
I was going to title this post "co-occurring emotions," but I decided that I don't want to further pathologize something that I feel is already unduly and needlessly pathologized.
The idea of co-existing feelings is something we've likely all experienced. It is rare for someone to experience one unique and unadulterated emotion. For example, upon achieving something, people often feel both pride and happiness. Similarly, if someone catches their significant other cheating on them, they could feel a combination of betrayal, anger, and hurt. These co-existing feelings are expected, understood, and cause no sort of cognitive dissonance within us.
But what about situations in which feelings seem to contradict one another? When "positive" and "negative" emotions bubble up within us in concert? After the death of a loved one, for example, we might feel grief, but maybe we feel a sense of relief - perhaps from no longer needing to play a caregiver role? In transitions of all kinds, a sense of "bittersweetness" tends to arise. One can be both happy and excited about graduating from college while also feeling sadness about leaving friends and a sense of fear about the future.
Personally, I am currently experiencing two emotions simultaneously that I never thought could co-exist: hopefulness and hopelessness. On the one hand, I am hopeful about how things are changing for the better in my life and the steps that I am taking in personal transformation and healing. On the other hand, I do feel a sense of hopelessness about the life I want to lead and the person I want to be given both my history and the gap between that life and person and where I am now. It feel like resolution and determination towards my goals coupled with dread and fear that I am just kidding myself and setting myself up for disappointment.
I have noticed that it is these states of apparent contradiction that we never seem to discuss openly. These states - take the first example of feeling relief at the death of a loved one - can often cause more emotions to layer: for example, one might feel shame for feeling relief at someone's death. I certainly feel a lot of guilt for harboring the least bit of hopelessness given how rich and fortunate I am, how grateful I feel, and how much support I have in my life. These layers of guilt, shame, and other emotions then tend to give way to our telling ourselves that we "should" or "should not" feel a certain way and that we "ought to" feel otherwise. We might also label ourselves as "bad" mothers/ daughters/ fathers/ sons/ friends/ lovers/ etc.
But why the shame? Why secrecy in discussing these topics? Who (and when and on what basis?) decided that certain feeling states in response to certain contexts were OK while others were not?
I am sure that the idea of what is socially acceptable to discuss as far as this is involved has evolved over time, so today, I invite you to be a part of today's evolution. Take the risk and tell a trusted one when you are experiencing emotions in response to something that don't feel "acceptable" or "appropriate." Let us each do our part on destigmatizing something that truly is neutral - our experiences.
In fact, you can start now.
Comment below and let me know: what is one (or more!) situation in which you've felt something that didn't seem to be the "right" emotional response? How did you handle your emotions? Did "layering" emotions and/or "should's" and "ought to's" show up? Did something else show up?
Very interesting post. I feel really sorry that you feel hopelessness on one hand and I can empathize with that. I truly believe that as your meditation practice builds further traction, you will be able to observe and hold contradictory feelings as a witness without letting them run/ruin your life. As for judging your feelings as good/bad, that is the start of crazy-making. There are people who will love and accept you despite your worst flaws without moral, holier-than-thou judgments. They will hold up a mirror kindly to you over and over so you can learn to choose thoughts and actions that align with your goals and values.
ReplyDeleteDeliberately choose to spend time with this group and run for your life if some people / situations make you feel even the slightest impulse to be a 'jackass whisperer' . xoxo. m
I love the inspirations on your blog and passion with which you write your posts ♥ If you wish to participate, here's your nomination for the Mystery Blogger Award and a link to the 'rules' of the game! Have fun! https://mirissaprice.wordpress.com/2017/02/12/mystery-blogger-award/
ReplyDeleteI would love to participate and I am deeply honored that you would nominate me! I am an avid follower of your blog, as well, and I find so much inspiration from you: it almost seems as though you are writing specifically for me and to me sometimes. On another note, I miss you a lot and I think of you often! <3 <3
DeleteI think without being conscious most people have this dilemma. At times the positive outweighs the negative - I have for a long time felt positive in the face of very difficult challenges and hopeful - putting aside the feeling of hopelessness. And sometimes it grips the other way. The reality is for you to make progress to be the person you want to be - you have to take one step at a time rather than expect complete transformation
ReplyDeleteLove
D
Exactly - and I am not a patient person at all but I think that it is important to remember that "Rome was not built in a day" so to speak. Anything worth achieving usually takes time!
Delete