February 18th, 2017
Affirmation: I follow up on my projects, responsibilities, goals, and dreams.
Word of the Day: protean (adj):
You said, Who's at the door?
I said, Your slave.
You said, What do you want?
To see you and bow.
We talked through the door, I claimed
a great love and that I had given up
what the world gives to be in that love.
You said, Such claims require a witness.
I said, This longing, these tears.
You said, Discredited witnesses.
I said, Surely not.
You said, Who did you come with?
This majestic imagination you gave me.
Why did you come?
The musk of your wine was in the air.
What is your intention?
Friendship.
___
On Luck
I sometimes read my horoscope for fun. I am usually amused by how vague most of them are - to the extent that they can be twisted to loosely apply to any person and any situation. But I am also somewhat unnerved by how accurately Scorpio traits describe and how accurately other close people in my life are described by their sign's ascribed traits.
I've also been on ghost tours and have watched supernatural shows and movies. But at the end of the day, I'm a pretty fact-based person. Some would say logical to a fault. I am not superstitious and don't believe in ghosts or mythical powers and the like.
Thus, my attention was piqued when I read about a purportedly scientific study on the nature of luck. Luck - while I'm played my share of bingo games and have even bought raffle and lottery tickets - isn't something that has ever struck me as remotely evidence based. But it turns out that it is... to an extent.
According to research conducted by psychologist Richard Wiseman, people have the ability to influence and enhance their "luck" by follow these four key principles:
1. Notice opportunities.
2. Make decisions by listening to your intuition.
3. Project positive expectations that become self-fulfilling prophecies.
4. Exercise resilience.
Each of these four tenets deserves a blog post dedicated to it, but at the same time, they are fairly straightforward and self-explanatory. To summarize these points, one might say that "lucky" people are aware and mindful; they exercise initiative; they are positive and decisive; and they always find a way to bounce back.
The biggest takeaway from this study for me, however, is that these things are all active choices. Meaning that luck is a choice. And it is an engaged, involved choice. Luck is not the result of merely thinking positively. (Not that positivity isn't important - I would argue that it is crucial; but it is necessary and not sufficient).
Interestingly, this notion is a part of many religious traditions, as well.
I would like to end by sharing a few of my favorite quotes and poems about luck with you that really speak to me. Quotations and poems are two of my favorites things to collect, and I will try to remember to share more of them with you all on here!
_______
"Fortune favors the brave." (The more accurate translation is actually "fortune comes to the aid of those daring" - notice the active choice in that!)
“Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
____
What is your take on luck? Do you "believe" in it?
What is your definition of luck?
Do you consider yourself to be a lucky person? Why or why not?
Affirmation: I follow up on my projects, responsibilities, goals, and dreams.
Word of the Day: protean (adj):
1. of or resembling
Proteus in having a varied nature or ability to assume different forms.
2. displaying great diversity
or variety: versatile.
Talking through the Door
(1)
You said, Who's at the door?
I said, Your slave.
You said, What do you want?
To see you and bow.
We talked through the door, I claimed
a great love and that I had given up
what the world gives to be in that love.
You said, Such claims require a witness.
I said, This longing, these tears.
You said, Discredited witnesses.
I said, Surely not.
You said, Who did you come with?
This majestic imagination you gave me.
Why did you come?
The musk of your wine was in the air.
What is your intention?
Friendship.
___
On Luck
I sometimes read my horoscope for fun. I am usually amused by how vague most of them are - to the extent that they can be twisted to loosely apply to any person and any situation. But I am also somewhat unnerved by how accurately Scorpio traits describe and how accurately other close people in my life are described by their sign's ascribed traits.
I've also been on ghost tours and have watched supernatural shows and movies. But at the end of the day, I'm a pretty fact-based person. Some would say logical to a fault. I am not superstitious and don't believe in ghosts or mythical powers and the like.
Thus, my attention was piqued when I read about a purportedly scientific study on the nature of luck. Luck - while I'm played my share of bingo games and have even bought raffle and lottery tickets - isn't something that has ever struck me as remotely evidence based. But it turns out that it is... to an extent.
According to research conducted by psychologist Richard Wiseman, people have the ability to influence and enhance their "luck" by follow these four key principles:
1. Notice opportunities.
2. Make decisions by listening to your intuition.
3. Project positive expectations that become self-fulfilling prophecies.
4. Exercise resilience.
Each of these four tenets deserves a blog post dedicated to it, but at the same time, they are fairly straightforward and self-explanatory. To summarize these points, one might say that "lucky" people are aware and mindful; they exercise initiative; they are positive and decisive; and they always find a way to bounce back.
The biggest takeaway from this study for me, however, is that these things are all active choices. Meaning that luck is a choice. And it is an engaged, involved choice. Luck is not the result of merely thinking positively. (Not that positivity isn't important - I would argue that it is crucial; but it is necessary and not sufficient).
Interestingly, this notion is a part of many religious traditions, as well.
Jack Kornfield writes, “The Sufis have a saying: Praise
Allah, and tie your camel to a post. This brings together both parts of
practice: pray, yes, but also make sure that you do what is
necessary in the world.”
Similarly, here are two things the Bible teaches
about faith: One, it says that faith is like a mustard seed. The tiniest bit of
it can grow tall and in its own time will sprout. The other thing the Bible
says is that faith without works is dead. If you’re not doing something, then
you’re not keeping your faith alive. In other words, God helps those who help
themselves.
So think positive thoughts, but accompany them with positive action.
Stop waiting for someone
or something to come along and rescue you.
Learn to rescue
yourself.
Because you can.
If we did even a
fraction of the things we were capable of, we would literally astound
ourselves.
I would like to end by sharing a few of my favorite quotes and poems about luck with you that really speak to me. Quotations and poems are two of my favorites things to collect, and I will try to remember to share more of them with you all on here!
_______
"Fortune favors the brave." (The more accurate translation is actually "fortune comes to the aid of those daring" - notice the active choice in that!)
“Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The sun doesn't just
hang on one family's tree”
― Anchee Min, Empress Orchid
― Anchee Min, Empress Orchid
“I'm a greater
believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”
― Thomas Jefferson
― Thomas Jefferson
“Concentration attracts luck factor.”
― Amit Ray
― Amit Ray
“Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.”
― Seneca
― Seneca
“Luck is the residue of design.”
― John Milton
― John Milton
“You just don't luck into things as much as you'd like to
think you do. You build step by step, whether it's friendships or
opportunities.”
- Barbara Bush
“I've found that what most people call luck is often little
more than raw talent combined with the ability to make the most of
opportunities.”
― Timothy Zahn
― Timothy Zahn
“Trust your luck, Taran Wanderer. But don't forget to put out
your nets!”
― Lloyd Alexander
― Lloyd Alexander
“The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself.”
- Douglas MacArthur
Hard Luck
By Edgar Albert Guest
Ain’t no use
as I can see
In sittin’
underneath a tree
An’ growlin’
that your luck is bad,
An’ that your
life is extry sad;
Your life
ain’t sadder than your neighbor’s
Nor any
harder are your labors;
It rains on
him the same as you,
An’ he has
work he hates to do;
An’ he gits
tired an’ he gits cross,
An’ he has
trouble with the boss;
You take his
whole life, through an’ through,
Why, he’s no
better off than you.
If whinin’
brushed the clouds away
I wouldn’t
have a word to say;
If it made
good friends out o’ foes
I’d whine a
bit, too, I suppose;
But when I
look around an’ see
A lot o’ men
resemblin’ me,
An’ see ’em
sad, an’ see ’em gay
With work t’
do most every day,
Some full o’
fun, some bent with care,
Some havin’
troubles hard to bear,
I reckon, as
I count my woes,
They’re ’bout
what everybody knows.
The day I
find a man who’ll say
He’s never
known a rainy day,
Who’ll raise
his right hand up an’ swear
In forty
years he’s had no care,
Has never had
a single blow,
An’ never
known one touch o’ woe,
Has never
seen a loved one die,
Has never
wept or heaved a sigh,
Has never had
a plan go wrong,
But allas
laughed his way along;
Then I’ll sit
down an’ start to whine
That all the
hard luck here is mine.
Luck is not a chance
By Emily Dickinson
Luck is not chance—
It’s Toil—
Fortune’s expensive smile
Is earned—
The Father of the Mine
Is that old-fashioned Coin
We spurned—
____
What is your take on luck? Do you "believe" in it?
What is your definition of luck?
Do you consider yourself to be a lucky person? Why or why not?


yes - pray to allah and tie your camel!Good advice .
ReplyDeleteAlso destiny is not a chance
Love
D
I agree with your view about positive thought and positive action leading to 'luck'. I think that in addition to being positive, they should also be right for that given situation. I find that right action comes naturally to those who have a clear, calm and reflective mind and an unwavering commitment to truth and the well-being of all. Right action invariably leads to 'luck' at least as defined by that person, not necessarily a material or externally visible metric.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you! Thanks for your comments!
Delete