Sunday, February 12, 2017

February 12th, 2017

February 12th, 2017


Affirmation: I enjoy excellent health.


Word of the Day: calliopean (adj):
1. piercingly loud; resembling a calliope in sound: a calliopean voice.


Evolutionary Intelligence


This groggy time we live, this is what it is like:
A man goes to sleep in the town
where he has always lived, and he dreams
he is living in another town.
He believes the reality of the dream town.

The world is that kind of sleep.
The dust of many crumbled cities
settles over us like a forgetful doze,
but we are older than those cities.

We began as a mineral. We emerged into plant life
and into the animal state. Then into being human,
and always we have forgotten our former states,
except in early spring when we almost
remember being green again.

Humankind is being led along an evolving course,
through this migration of intelligences,
and though we seem to be sleeping,
there is an inner wakefulness that directs the dream.

It will eventually startle us back
to the truth of who we are.

____


The First Time

When was the last time you tried something for the first time?

As much as I am a creature of routine and as much as predictability seems to be my muse, I truly believe that life happens at the end out our comfort zone - that if we are not growing, we are - in some way - dying.

This morning, I embarked on my first ever big MeetUp group event.

And it was incredible.

I woke up at 5 am and my parents dropped me off at our carpooling meet up location in Golden at 6:45. From there, we drove to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa in Tabernash, CO. It is an absolutely gorgeous and disarmingly picturesque property and there is so much that I want to say about the experience that I don't even know where to start.

The cuisine also deserves a post unto itself - I was so busy eating the amazing food (the tomato pesto penne with gorgonzola was particularly melt-in-your-mouth amazing) that I didn't take pics of a lot of it. But I highly recommend it. I am also way more a brownie person than a lemon tart person, but the smooth, creamy and delightfully tart and fresh lemon tart even outdid the oatmeal chocolate cookies and the coconut seven layer pie.

In any case, I took part in an all day event that is part of a series of events organized by an organization called Women's Quest. If you aren't familiar with it, I encourage you to check it out!

Today, there were 110 women and it was filled with inspirational cards, quotes, poetry, exercises and  so much more.

In the morning, I took a 2 hour beginner skate skiing class that was amazing and the weather was warm, sunny, and gorgeous. I have done classic nordic skiing before, but this was very different. After a huge buffet lunch, giveaways (I didn't win anything), and some inspirational things, I hung out at the sauna and steam room (I wasn't feeling the hot tub and jacuzzi) and then treated myself to a "hand facial" (my hands have been chapped and super dry this winter and the spa treatment was amazing and smelled even more divine). They used organic oils and balms and I was in total bliss-land.

After the treatment, I went to a yoga class that was relaxing and grounding and then we left to head back to Golden (and, of course, got caught in bad traffic amongst everyone heading back into town from the mountains).

We ate dinner on the way and my parents picked me up and drove me back to my place. We hung out for a bit and I've still got a little work to do before I call it a day, so I'll end here.

My point in sharing this with you isn't do beat the carpe diem cliche to death, but I truly believe that cliches are cliches for a reason: they hold some truth.

This week - in whatever small way - I invite you to try something for the first time. And let me know what you tried and how you felt.

In my own experience, it's the stones I've left unturned that I regret.




2 comments: